"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on How can we have free will without sin in heaven, but can't do so on earth?

Parent

How can we have free will without sin in heaven, but can't do so on earth?

+6
−0

The general explanation I've heard (if I can try to summarize it) for "the problem of evil", of why a good God allows evil things to happen in the world, is that God doesn't want "robots" as he wants people to choose to worship and follow him. And if we're given that free will, then inevitably we will at some point choose not to worship God. And that's what's behind the fall and sin and generally the source of evil, that at times people won't be choosing to follow God.

Now, that all actually makes perfect sense to me. My question is: Why doesn't that same logic apply to us in heaven? (Or the New Jerusalem or whatever name you want to use to describe believers' eternity together with God.)

That is, it seems that the logical conclusion is either (1) we don't actually have free will in heaven, so we can't choose to disobey God, or (2) it is possible (somehow) for God to make a place where we both have free will and yet cannot sin (as hard as it is for us to understand). If #1 is the answer, it seems weird that God would not want "robots" on earth but would be okay with them in heaven. But if #2 is the answer, you're just left with the original problem of evil: Why, if God can make such a place, would he have made Earth in a different way that allowed evil to exist rather than in a way that both allows for free will but without sin?

My background is Baptist (non-Calvinism Protestant), but I'm interested in hearing answers across the breadth of Christian traditions.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−0

(written on my cell, will add references later)

In the new Heaven, there will be no Sin, as it will be eradicated. It is my opinion that free will can absolutely exist without sin. Jesus is the perfect example of that. He had full autonomy from the Father. This would explain the temptation in the desert, and also Him asking the Father to remove the cup of suffering he was about to experience when praying in the garden of Gethsemane.

In terms of my denomination, i'm non-denominational. I come from an 'unchurched' background and my beliefs and opinions stem from a lot of different reading. I would say i'm somewhere between baptist and evangelical/Pentecostal. In a nutshell, I read the bible and approach it as truth.

I have read some of the ante-Nicene fathers work such as St Augustine. I agree in large with Sigma's comment on his (Augustine's) approach however, I am not sure our autonomy is removed once sin is removed. I don't see any scriptural evidence for that.

I think in a nutshell, there's no real answer to this that we can truly know is correct. This is part of the mystery of God and His creation. But I do think that we can talk a lot around it and make some reasonable speculation that's rooted in scripture.

I believe inherently that, God cannot create something that is imperfect. But he does create things that can become imperfect. This must be an aspect of the autonomy of free will. The ability for someone to learn something, have the choice to act upon and thus create the opportunity for a righteous or sinful act. We see this all throughout scripture. in the story of Adam and Eve we see it first. But from this point on, our very nature became impregnated with that knowledge. We call it sin. But even then, there is always a choice one makes. See for example the story of Cain and Abel, Abraham, Jonah etc.

We also see this in the story of the fall of Satan. A third of the host of heaven including Lucifer was thrown down from it.

We also read that there will be a new heaven and a new earth. As well as new bodies. So there's something about the current ones that aren't complete right now. There's something about the two falls that tainted them and created a need for a new creation.

What is it about the new creation that won't have decay like the old one? In my personal opinion, I believe there will still be free will. I think the big difference is all those who are in heaven - both angels and humans have gone through tribulation. They've been tested by their faith.

If I can believe in Jesus and keep to the faith on my time in a fallen earth - even whilst my very own nature is fallen. Then when I receive a new body and I'm worshipping the triune God where sin has been eradicated, I can't see anybody wanting anything else other than to worship Him.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

1 comment thread

General comments (1 comment)
General comments

Skipping 1 deleted comment.